This blog contains the random thoughts that enter into my mind. Most of these will be of a serious nature that I will then proceed to mangle until unrecognizable. But I may yet discover truth in something...

Monday, December 8, 2008

Challenge to all Catholics: Do You Really Believe in God?

While I going through my normal routine, I began to notice that I wasn't making much time for God. Every day, I roll out of bed, reset my alarm, and go back to sleep. Eventually, it becomes ridiculous beyond the point of belief, and then when I do get up, I've been in bed for so long that it's just time to start my day, and if I don't get started, I won't get anything done. Alternately, I tend to work long hours, such that when I'm done, I have about 2 hours to handle all of my other responsibilities, and then I go to bed, and rattle off only quick prayers.

This doesn't mean that I don't pray. I do try. Every so often, I do succeed, at least it would seem so to me. But this brings up a question.

Why do I do this? I mean, if I really do believe what I say about God, and how He loves us and how we owe Him absolutely everything, how is it that I can spend one minute (or less) in every 24-hour period thanking Him, worshiping Him, talking to Him?

To those of you who have a similar pattern, maybe you can help answer the question. To quote a good friend of mine, "I'm a sinner in need of a Great Savior." And I've got One. But I have to use the grace that He gives me to attain salvation. More often than not, I don't use the graces given, and that tends to be a problem.

Anyway, just stop and think about that. Every day that you dedicate to yourself and your needs, are you stopping to thank God for the life that He gave you, the friends you have, the Catholic Faith that you belong to (and I hope hold dearly)? Are you using His graces and His Gifts?

Also, a quick reminder, today is the Feast of the Immaculate Conception (Our Lady's Conception, not Our Lord's). Today is a Holy Day of Obligation. You are not under any restrictions today for fasting or abstinence -- since it's a feast day of the Church, I think that fasting and abstinence is forbidden. Anyway, also, just make sure you go to Mass today!

God Bless!

1 comment:

Quaestor said...

I have heard from priests of the necessity of living the heroic moment, especially in reference to getting up on time. I think starting with not going back to sleep is a good idea, a place to start. That gives you more time to do important things. Roll out and hit the floor kneeling. I only wish I could do it. I know that focusing on that helps, however. Whenever I do, I have a better day, and a more prayerful one.